Thursday, November 18, 2010

Temptation

Day 3 of the two by eight Garde Manger class for the Fall Semester, and we’re already off and running. Without even missing a beat from two mystery basket tests, we tear (and puree and even grind) into what I consider the “meat” of Garde Manger, the Pate d’Terrine. When I saw the listings on day 1, I knew that I had to have this as my day, just for how important I view the use of forcemeats in my culinary life.

As soon as we got settled into class, and the presentation had ended, the entire class just kicked into high gear, immediately moving to the cart and working on getting their pates and terrines (and even moussalines, depending on what was going on) ready for placement in the ovens and to sit overnight. While this was the core of today’s class, we still had to prepare the family meal for ourselves and our comrades-in-arms, the Baking Science students in the adjoining lab.

Unfortunately, that’s where we had our little hiccup. With such focused determination on not wanting our pates to break, to get them in the oven on time, the concept of family meal fell a little on the back burner. Even still, after a 15 minute extension, and a little cajoling, we got that plated up, with all pates in the oven. The threat of staying till midnight averted. Once again, we prove ourselves to be the stuff of the upper-level culinary students, cleaning our stations as we went, and making sure that our dishes weren’t piled up. Even with a little hiccup, we’re able to be clean at all times.

Overall, the class performed admirably, and as the forcemeats went into the ovens, and later the blast chiller, I’m left thinking, why do I have to wait until tomorrow to taste the final product? What’s the old saying? Good things come to those who wait. I can already taste it.

For me, pates are always worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment